Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude'

So I got that most unwelcome of mail, a jury summons, on October 21. 

A quick read indicated that as a retired citizen, I wasn’t going to be able to get out of it. So I clicked on the link the summons provided, to fill out a jury questionnaire. They said this was required. Except the link didn’t provide me with a questionaire. I sent an email asking how I could fill out a questionnaire. I received no reply.



After checking in last night and finding out I was still needed, I asked my wife to drive me the 45 minutes to Viera ‘Justice Center’. Apple Maps routed me to the rear entrance. I arrived at 7:55 a.m. There was no entry for the Lumpenproletariat at the rear entrance. I walked around to the front entrance, and took my place in a long, long line. 

It took a 12 minute wait; but while standing in line  I filled out a petition to put marijuana legalization on the 2024 ballot, so that was good. Then I went throught a metal detector. It ent off, even though I was carrying no metal. So they wanded me. But they put my backpack aside so they could screen 5 large boxes of paper, so I had to wait. It’s clear where jurors are on the pecking order.



Then it was another 15 minute line, for the Jury Assembly room, where there finally was a questionaire, on a tablet. I took it to the Jury Assembly room, and filled it out. Do I have friends who are police officers? Hahahahaha. 

There are too many people in this windowless Jury Assembly room. 180 seated, and more standing.

8:44 The questions duplicate what we’ve already been asked. Resident, citizen, law enforcement office, felon? (corrrect answers are (Y, Y, N, N)



Then they recited the preamble to the Constitution, which the previous President wants to get rid, because it won;t let him steal an election. If being a juror is such a solemn duty, why do they treat us like shit? I say, if you value my service, pay be minumum wage, plus mileage, not a lousy $15 a day. 

 Then they asked if anyone wanted to be excused. Quite a few people do. Funny how involuntary servitude is so unappealing.

And we waited some more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fortenberry slaves: a prelude

The members of Turning Point USA at UNL.

Dan Whitney, aka Larry the Cable Guy, a short biography